Saturday, April 17, 2010

Visitation Rights

I am for expanding gay rights.

We should not be treated as second class citizens.

I pay my taxes just like the next guy so I should have just as many rights.

And as a LBG (Late Breaking Gay) I am far more aware of the rights that I lost when I came out of the closet.

But, and call me inpatient if you want, the recent memo from President Obama giving same sex couples hospital visitation rights seems like an awfully small step.

Actually the memo is instructing hospitals to let everyone have anyone (same sex partner or whatever) they wanted visit or speak for their wishes when they can't. It wasn't primarily for gays but the gay community seems to have claimed it.

Don't get me wrong - it is a good thing - but I fear that the government may feel like they threw the gay community a bone and expect us to chew on it and be quite. I hope we stay loud and proud. We have a long way to go.

2 comments:

  1. I'm not sure it even was a bone here: I think the gay community just scurried quickly enough to claim it for ourselves, as you suggest.

    I still believe the root of all the divide in rights is stats-sanctioned marriage. Let churches marry, and the state broker contracts to ensure that someone I choose cares for me when I cannot and distributes my property when I am finished with it.

    Thanks for sharing your experiences, Morris.

    EAM

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello. How are you? franz76 @ silverdaddies and franz13 @ gayroyal

    ReplyDelete